Vehicle not cranking

Asked by Nov 24, 2014 at 09:42 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

I have a 2001 pontiac grand prix that is not cranking over. I can put the key in and hear the fuel pump and relays engage but nothing. I pulled the starter on it and had it tested it was fine, I have no theft/ security lights on, checked the vlotage at the fuse box under the hood and everything checks out. I am at a loss on this one if anybody could help I would be greatful.

5,645

If you have an automatic transmission then I suggest you check the neutral safety switch. Some cars with bad neutral safety switches you can put the automatic transmission in Neutal and it will fire up.

I tried it didn't work. thanks for the help.

5,645

If you have a multimeter, you can put it on the starter and have someone turn the key. If it registers 12 volts, something in the starter/solenoid is bad. If it doesn't read 12 volts you just start checking things in line to or from the starter. Example... few years ago in the motorhome, it wouldn't crank. I started at the battery, then checked the continuity of the ignition switch, then down to the neutral safety switch, then to the ignition solenoid, then to starter solenoid/starter. Multimeters are cheap, sometimes Harbor Freight mails out coupons with your ads for a free Multimeter with purchase of anything in the store. Good luck, and a multimeter is indispensable for the annoying little problems

Best Answer Mark helpful