About ready to literally have a nervous breakdown after spending $2000 head gasket set replaced by new radiator hoses heater core water pump you name it it's been done and now it seems like it's wors

320

Asked by Sep 03, 2014 at 08:34 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe

86,805

If it isn't fixed to you satisfaction then take it back to where you had it worked on, make a note of the things you don't like, questions you have etc. There should be a warranty on the work performed.

320

the thing is, I am satisfied with everything they did the car runs excellent nobody can figure out wh was air in the cooling system which is notoriously in those cars and those engines from 97 to 2003those cars in those engines from 97 to 03. the fan is coming on there's no thermostat, the coolant is full it doesn't leak everything the past to do and/or functioning properlyand everybody is scratching their heads wondering what is going on with this problem that'putting it out there for anybody to take a guess or suggest something we haven't tried. HEEELPP!?

320

I apologize for the seemingly incoherent answer I just put my voice recognition really sucks anyway if anyone can figure out what is going on with my overheating problem please respond again everything has been done everything is new from a head gasket to the coolant and I'm pretty sure we got all of the air out what was causing my problems first place due to a bad head gasket

86,805

So exactly what is the problem? Be specific.

86,805

Can you tell me what they did with the heads? ie pressure tests magna fluxing, etc.

320

sometimes I can drive from 3 hours at a time and my car is fine runs awesome the whole cooling system everything also have a new head gasket set and then I'll get in the car on the same day or the next day and I'll Drive it and it will overheat like crazy quickly. the hoses are collapsing the cooling fans are coming on I took the thermostat out the water pump is fine the only thing we can think of is air in the system but we can not get out. I've tried the bleeder valve on top of the thermostat housing and I was able to get air out at first and then it turned to all liquidand I've done that lots of times to make sure all air is out I can't figure this out it's driving me nuts my car is sitting back at the mechanicsshot for the third time since I got his back with the new head gasket

320

correction the hoses are not collapsing or anything like that and everything is new heater core water pump gladiator hoses everything

320

they were sent out to a machine shop to be tested and cleaned up and all that stuff and they were fine

320

the heads i mean

320

the head gasket job was definitely a success I have gained at least one- third horsepower it runs like a brand new car now. it just keeps overheating relentlessly

86,805

Can you tell me if they did a running pressure test on the cooling system?

320

Yes they did everything...i don't lose fluid at all. Motor is running bette than ever

86,805

Ok here is what I think is happening, engine cold the coolant level is normal, you start out everything is fine, engine runs good no overheat, you shut it down and the engine cools off, as it does so the cooling system develops a vacuum and somewhere air is sucked in, bingo instant air pocket, you start up the cold engine and start to drive, very quickly it starts to overheat but you don't know why cause the coolant levels are full or were full till the overheat. Am I getting this correct? If I am then the shop is going to have to double check their work it is possible that a new part is bad possibly the water pump, { but that is just a guess on my part } or something else that was replace that holds pressure but not the vacuum created during cool down. As you had so much done it most likely won't be a easy find, it could even be in one of the heads, possibly a stress crack out of the normal passages like behind a valve or something like that. I am just giving you these ideas cause I have had some problems like this in my years of working on vehicles. HTH

Best Answer
61,085

Are you sure it's really overheating? Use a laser thermometer and take temperature readings at the thermostat housing and across the radiator. You may have a bad coolant temperature sensor giving you false readings on the dash board gauge. This is especially true if the sensor has been replaced with an aftermarket sensor. For some reason only AC Delco sensors work correctly on most GM vehicles. I work at NAPA and we've had many coolant temperature sensors come back defective for GM vehicles. Also, check the routing of the serpentine belt. If the water pump is spinning the wrong way because the belt was put back on incorrectly that'll cause overheating as well. HTH. -Jim

320

thanks for the help folks. I can't wait to go to the shop tomorrow to tell my mechanic all of these possible reasons and let him deny each and every one of them even though I know one of them is probably the reason. So we'll see how that works out haha.,,

4,505

Do not run the car without the thermostat, it can actually cause the engine to overheat because the water flows too quickly through the radiator to effectively cool down. Second, if your hoses are collapsing, the recovery system isn't working. Pressure is supposed to send excess coolant to the recovery tank, where it is drawn back in once the engine cools and pressure drops. Check these two issues.

Best Answer
3,705

Lots of good advice here. Also, don't drive your car excessively and blow your engine by overheating. If your mechanic is being uncooperative you may need to take it to another shop for a second opinion. The cost will be worth it if it saves your engine.

115

Last summer my 2001 gt 3.8 v6 had overheating problems. Took us awhile to figure it out. Turns out the radiator needed replaced. Also turns out, the transmission oil cooler inside the radiator was leaking, causing the transmission fluid and coolant to mix. Gunked up the radiator and ruined it, and screwed my tranny before we figured it out. The tranny still works, just not properly, runs way to high of rpms. If you haven't had this checked yet, I would say get it checked, before your tranny gets ruined. Because at first we thought mine was head gaskets. Luckily got it figured out before spending the $2000 on new head gaskets. Just really wish I didn't need a new tranny now.

320

I actually finally resolved the issue without using a mechanic. I'm time to time I was hearing things about putting my car up on ramps opening the radiator cap letting it run until the water spills out and then replace my water all the while hitting the throttle. and lo and behold about an hour and I started hearing all these small explosion sounds coming from the radiator and then finally kaboom all these air bubbles started blowing out all over the windshieldand it happened about 3 times and then it just stopped all the sudden now my car is absolutely fine I have nooverheating issues at all. All it took was getting my car on an incline. I know it sounds weird but apparently it's something that you have to do that particular car and or motor. It most definitely works. thanks for everyones advice

61,085

That's definitely a new way to bleed the air out of the cooling system. Thanks for sharing that one. Never heard of that before!! Very glad it worked! -Jim