Supercharging

45

Asked by May 27, 2008 at 10:03 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe

I own a 01 GT, and looking to supercharge it, as i dont have the GTP.  Just wondering if anyone has done this before, and if its doable.  I cant see why not, but any help would be appreciated.

570

Well the easiest way to go about this is just to buy a 3800 series motor out of a GTP and do the swap..... Not sure what the differences are internally between the n/a and the s/c motors. Probably more expensive to buy the supercharger and supporting parts than just buying the complete motor from a salvage yard.

45

not sure. id have to look around to see what i can find.

65

Check out clubgp.com you can find more info there. It isn't as simply as dropping the supercharger on the N/A 3.8. The GTP has different heads I believe. It would be more expensive but you should look into turboing it.

145

you need to rebuild the bottom end and lower the compression to compensate for the added boost from the forced induction, just as easy to buy a gtp engine and harness

it cant be changed over.super charged cars are a special breed of cars.you can do mod to them.but they have to be tuned for the mods.my advice if you want a super charged car ,buy one.im the proud owner of a 89 t-bird SC-3.8 supercharged factory car.

95

The compression is different on a GT. a GTP motor has lower compression because the supercharger makes up for it and it ends up being higher compression. A GT starts out with a higher compression so adding a Supercharger wouldn't be that great cuz you couldn't run much boost without blowing it. ALSO... if I were you I would sell the GT and get a GTP because even though you can swap out the motors the transmission is still different. Your GT trans won't be able to handle the GTP motor for very long... The GTPs trans sucks enough as it is. So although it is possible... you wouldn't gain enough HP for it to be worth the price because your couldn't run much boost. and when you add in a motor and tranny swap your looking at a big price tag.

30

I've seen 3800 s/c motors going for $450 in the junkyard. You might wanna grab the wiring harness and ecu. It shouldn't be that hard to bolt right in since the motor mounts are all the same. Check out ZZPerformance.com for all your after market upgrades.

10,235

The GT ad GTP are two entirely different engines throughout. Engine, computer, and harness swap would be required to supercharge it. There is a turbo kit out for the 97-03 grand prix gt's made by Cartuning that would be alot more reasonable and do-able.

235

there is an "ss m90 kit" available out there with everything you need to safely use the supercharger on your engine... but beware of the trans... they are this cars weakness... new the kit runs around 5-6k but you can find used kits from people demodding on www.clubgp.com... my name on there is bigalwalker08 if you have any more questions

just do a topswap and get a proggrammed pcm 3.8 bottom ends are plenty strong the m90 doesnt put out that much boost stock check the forums and as to the wiring u can use the stock harnes ...u just have to extend the mass air plug the only difference on the tranny is the diff and u can get bolt on upgrades for urs if u doubt the wiring harness working ask a 5th gen monte owner with a sc 3.8

775

i was looking at doing this to my n/a 3.8, alot of work, heads r diff and intake and everything, not to mention the double serp belt relocation brackets for ignition coils ugh wat a task. best option and cost effective measure i found was to do a motor swap, get all wiring harness and computers u can and even a trans if possible. you can supercharge an n/a motor and leave the higher compression. but youll need the heads the lower intake and upper and various brackets and hoses for vacuum and cooling. youll have more power output then the gtp mortor due to the higher compression, stock bottom end will last as long as u use proper oils and dont have huge mileage on car. lucas hd oil stabilizer will work great to hold bottom end together warning though, go any higher then stock boost (believe its 7psi) and your bottom end is a ticking time bomb

365

Top Swap it! You'll need the heads, intake manifold, supercharger, and all the stuff that goes along with it. pretty much get an L67 engine out of a wrecked car take everything from the heads on up. Swap it onto the L36 block (N/A block) get a PCM from ZZPerformance.com that is already tuned for this setup and BAM! You've got a supercharged GT. Your going to end up with more power because of the higher compression. I'd highly recommend a set of headers if you're going to do this. and before you do any pulley size drops, GET AN INTERCOOLER! Much cheaper than a turbo set up but you wont get the gains that would come from a turbo. It wil however be faster than your run of the mill factory GTP!

365

Also, forgot to add, get the crank pulley, tensioner, and idler pulleys off the other engine. Its not as hard as people make it seem. it just takes time and PATIENCE!!

can get you an engine and trans for 1200.00 909 991-1791 out of a wrecked GTP

Need transmission for 05 GTP SUPERCHARGED GRAND PRIX, OR WOULD IT BE EASIER TO REPAIR IT?