2000 pontiac grand prix 115,000 miles 3.8/ car sputters alot and will die at any time during idle or drive. it will run fine for a few then goes into choke mode and just dies. sounds like its gasping for air. any help would be appreciated.

Asked by Jan 09, 2016 at 03:57 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

car sputters alot and will die at any time during idle or drive. it will run fine for
a few then goes into choke mode and just dies.takes a few turns to get it
started again but once started it will run fine for about 5 minutes then die.  
sounds like its gasping for air. any help would be appreciated.

Check your battery and alternator . or you might have a gas leak. Not sure but it wouldn't hurt to try

Not smelling any gas at any time. I know when my car did this it was the coil pack, but i was also getting bad gas mileage. This car in question belongs to friend. His gas mileage isnt a problem. But i will definitely check the things you mentioned later today. I will letya know how it turns out. Thanks for your answer.

47,115

Try a tuneup!

3,715

I agree. It is not likely a power (electrical) issue or a gas leak. It does sound like a car that has had no maintenance and needs to have the trouble codes read and then receive a good tuneup plus possibly whatever else the computer indicates is wrong. Don't start randomly replacing parts until you know what is wrong. It may be something more serious that is not worth fixing on a car that old.