My 2000 Grand Prix is overheating, mechanic doesnt know whats wrong with it.

Asked by Nov 09, 2015 at 11:50 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

My car was saying low coolant when I turned on my car but the sign would go away after a bit of driving. A couple days later I put half a gallon of coolant in. The next day my car began to overheat for the first time so I pulled over and put the other half of the gallon in and drove home with no problems. Yesterday is the first time I drove since the last overheating incident and the guage began to go up after a couple minutes of driving. It was close to the red zone but I managed to make it to my destination. I went to my mechanic to have him see if there was a leak or something that could be causing this problem. After an hour of waiting he told me he checked everything that could possibly be causing the overheating and he couldn't find a thing wrong, other than my battery being close to dead. SO I am completely stumped.... Any advice?

109,595

If you are not leaking fluid out of the car onto the floor then you may have a blown head gasket. Here is what you need to look for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVn-IDi7da8

Best Answer Mark helpful

The mechanic informed me that that wasn't the problem..

109,595

If you have no water leaking on the ground, then it has to be going somewhere? Two places, the tranny cooler if you have one build into the radiator is leaking back into the transmission or its being sucked into the engine.

4,245

Short term your problem is likely air trapped in the cooling system. It needs to be bled out and filled properly. Long term you need to figure out where the coolant is going. If its not showing up in the oil or on the ground the leak is likely quite minor and can probably be corrected by adding one or two units of Bars Leak to you system. If the leak is larger you will need to start replacing gaskets and intake plenum. For now, get it full and keep an eye on the coolant level. Its getting to be an old car. You don't want to get too carried away spending money on it.