2000 Pontiac Grand Prix whizzing noise

Asked by May 23, 2014 at 12:19 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

Car started making a whizzing noise at approximately 60 mph and stopped  as soon as I let go of the gas pedal.  Suddenly while on the highway it made a loud rattling noise and that was the end of the engine. Would like to know if the whizzing sound was related to the engine seizing. Mechanic says there is metal in the oil. He had done oil change just a week prior.

33,835

Yeah. The sound you heard was the death of the crank shaft.

4,705

The "whizzing" could have been any rotational internal engine part. The key to me is that there were metal particulates in the remaining oil and the engine seized while operating. Typically, if an engine siezes it can be due to a lack of lubricant, major mech breakdown (crank shaft), or a lack of cooling. When you determine what caused you to break down you can tell better what you will need to do to get back on the road (and if it was related to prior week's oil change). Since there was still oil in the engine and it now had metal shavings in it, the oil change is not likely the cause. If the crank went or some other internal engine part froze or disintegrated (piston, bearing, rod, valve, etc.), I would look at rebuilding (or engine swapping) only if the car was in exceptional condition or you really liked it. Otherwise I would bury it and find another.