reverse , 2nd, 1st gear works and 3rd don't

Asked by Nov 11, 2015 at 03:35 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

the forward band broke, it is common with the 4t65-e transmission, the reason it moves in manual 1 and manual 2 is the overrun band(known as the manual 2-1 band is applying and holding the forward sprag which is how you get engine braking in those gears, however it isn't designed to move the car forward so damage will happen if you trying to drive it a long way most places will sell you a trans which is probably best as the forward band is the deepest part of the trans and would require a complete overhaul

Also remember that a GTP requires the heavy duty version of the trasmission due to the extra horsepower of that model of car. Not just any one will do. I'd think twice about spending any money on a car that old. Newer GTPs are plentiful and cheap. Probably time to upgrade to a newer model for about the same money you will spend changing out the transmission.

I agree, this car does not have the best reliability record, you're better off converting the money you would spend on repairs into a newer model.

thank you this is helpful

Lisa Judkins

Ok i have a 06 grand prix and I was told the band broke on my drive and 3rd gear is this correct and is it worth repairing or getting a used transmission and taking my chances ? My car has almost 164,000 miles on it , can someone please help me here

The car isn't worth very much and there are plenty of them around for cheap that don't need work, so unless you can find a very inexpensive fix or are totally in love with the car its probably time for a different one.