2000 pontiac grand prix starts runs for 2 seconds and dies.replaced fuel pump, battery, and cam and crank sensors and fuel filter.still starts but won't run more than 2 seconds.any ideals.checked fuse

Asked by Dec 20, 2013 at 09:13 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

115,985

Will it continue to run if you keep your foot on the gas pedal? Light pressure.

Yes it will.if keep rpm's up.

115,985

Sounds like an idle air control issue either dirty or faulty. Try cleaning the iac and throttle plate. If that don't help I would replace the iac.

1,185

Replace the fuel pump resistor. On start up it is bypassed, once started the relay puts the resistor back in the fuel pump circuit. To be sure that the resistor is bad, find the connecter to the resistor, disconnect it and jumper the two pins from the relay. If it starts and runs you have found the problem.

Where is the fuel pump resister? Have good fuel pressure.and can here the fuel pump kick on.and with gage had good pressure.dont understand what else it could be.if that resistor is bad will you still have good pressure?

1,185

If you actually have the prescribed fuel pressure when the engine dies then in all probability the fuel pump resistor is OK. If there is a sudden drop in the pressure, it is the resistor. If yours has never been changed it is located in the passenger side wheel well area (exactly where I can't tell you). If it has been changed it SHOULD have been relocated to either the firewall on the passenger side or the inner wheel well. On start up the pump is at full voltage, but as soon as the engine starts the pump is switched to a lower voltage (lower pressure) if the resistor is bad the pump stops. By keeping the RPM up the pump would be signaled to go to full voltage (high pressure). The GTP's are very often plagued with this problem until the resistor(new) is located as stated above. If the pressures are constant then lookinto the IAC, etc. Good luck with it.

So I know this question is old, however, my 2000 grand prix just started this problem. I haven't replaced anything except the fuel filter and fuel pump relay. That worked for a day, then it started again. Turns out that my catalytic converter is clogged, causing too much blow-back and in effect strangles the car causing it to sputter and die. If you can get it started with full throttle, and it kicks out white smoke from the exhaust chances are it's either a coolant leak into the engine and it's burning the coolant (which is bad) or the catalytic converter is clogged. If you can get under the rear of the car and find them (I'm pretty sure the gp has two converters) smack them with your hand or a rubber mallet to see if they are rattling. If they are broken you need to replace them. If they are just clogged run some cata-clean (not sure how it's spelled, you can get it at AutoZone for like $25) through the gas tank and it should clear it up.

I'm having the same problem. My fuel pump and filter were replaced but my car will start and die as soon as I put foot on gas. I could use some answers or solutions to problem.