Where is the outdoor temperature sensor for the automatic temperature control located on a 2000 GP GTP ?

1,065

Asked by Aug 29, 2013 at 01:18 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

56,675

I don't believe outside temperature is displayed. Just glanced at my owner's manual to be sure. So there is no sensor for outside temperature. -Jim

1,065

Jim, the outside air temp.is displayed, and it also controls the AC compressor. If the OAT is lower than the cabin temp.setting the compressor will not run. The problem with mine is until the car is driven aprox.3 to 4 miles the readout is 28° which locks out the AC compressor. After 3-4 miles the OAT readout starts to climb but levels off at about 73° even when it's 90+ OAT. HELP!!!!

56,675

That's interesting. I'll have to research that further. I have a 2000 GT without automatic climate control. On many GMs the outside temperature sensor is located just ahead of the radiator. Right behind the grille. HTH. -Jim

56,675

Where exactly does the outdoor temperature display? I've read through my 2000 Grand Prix Owner's Manual very carefully and see no reference to this feature. It does say that at outdoor temperatures below 38°F the A/C compressor will not come on. That actually can be said for all GMs going back to the early '60s. Back in those days it was controlled by a bimetal switch located on top of the heater box on the passenger's side engine compartment. I'm very curious about this since I also own a 2000 Grand Prix. -Jim

1,065

It displays on the digital display under the radio. This display reports the temp. for the drivers side and the passenger side (dual zone). It is actually right in front of the shifter, it also displays where the air is being directed (defrost, floor, mixed floor and dash, or dash discharge. It is there, and has been since the car was new and until recently always performed flawlessly. I am familiar with the way it was done years ago, I have owned those too. I have found it in the chassis wiring diagram, but can't find it physically on the car. This car does have automatic temperature control, if I set it at 70° it keeps the cabin at that setpoint summer or winter. I understand that the manual AC system is just that, manual but when they said fully automatic they meant it. I hope 1 of you can help me out here. THANKS

56,675

Rockauto.com has a listing for the ambient temperature sensor under "heat/ air conditioning". It has a mounting bracket on it. As I said earlier try looking just ahead of the radiator just behind the grille. HTH. -Jim

1,065

I found the sensor, it's on the right side, anchored to the radiator incoming air duct. Thanks for the help, now I hope I can cure the problem of erroneous temp. readouts, if you have ANY ideas I would appreciate the info.to make this problem less daunting.

56,675

Awesome that you found it! You're welcome. Glad to help. I'd replace the sensor. It's not that expensive on rockauto.com. HTH. -Jim

1,065

I picked up a net sensor locally, installed, the readout is -39°. I put the original back in the socket...same thing. I took voltage readings at the sensor socket, with no sensor it reads aprox. 5 volts, when either of the sensors are installed the voltage reading varies depending on the temp. of the sensor. What's next????

56,675

Inspect the wiring from the sensor back and the plug that plugs into the sensor. Sounds like there's a break or the plug is faulty.The sensor is a variable resistor. With a reading of - 39° the car "thinks" the sensor is unplugged. HTH. -Jim

1,065

Jim, I had a hunch from past experience that the computer didn't recognize the new sensor, some sophisticated water/glycol chillers use the same technology, so I left the sensor plugged in and let it set over night. This morning the computer and new sensor are the best of friends. Thanks for all of your help, and keep what happened here in mind for future reference. Thanks again....I think I'll go for a ride in my GTP.

56,675

Awesome!! Glad you had a happy ending! You're welcome, glad to help. Thank you for the info and letting us know as well. I definitely will remember this for future reference. -Jim

20

I have a 2000 Daytona 500 Pontiac Grand Prix that is having the same issue. I have taken it to my mechanic and he 'replaced the sensor' 3 times but after a few months it goes back to the same issue. I've noticed that especially when it will read a low temperature especially when it rains. I live in South Florida, and the temperature hasn't dropped below 75 in a good 4 months. You can imagine AC is vital here. Can I purchase this sensor from an autoparts store? Is it easy to replace? Or should I take it back to the dealer?