2000 grand Prix gt won't start

30

Asked by Feb 11, 2017 at 10:49 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

My car won't start. I turn it over & it does
nothing but a click. Lights come on&
everything. We thought it was the battery
until I got a new one & it was still doing the
same thing. What could it be? The starter?

76,215

Yes the starter would be the next thing to check along with the battery cables. Make sure both ends of the battery cables are clean and tight. Inspect the battery cables for corrosion around each end, this indicates a bad battery cable.

72,315

Try tapping on the starter with a hammer. If it then starts, the starter is definitely bad. One side note, compare the old and new starters before you do the repair. They should match up exactly! Since your Grand Prix is a GT it has the 3.8. The 3.8 and 3.1 starters are often misboxed because they look almost identical. The 3.8 starter is a little longer and a little fatter than the 3.1 starter. If the new starter doesn't match take it back. It's NOT right, no matter what the guy at the auto parts store tries to tell you! HTH. -Jim

76,215

Great point Js08016...

72,315

Thank you Rowefast. -Jim

30

Can I tap on the starter & try starting it by myself or would I need a second person to help? & I went to get my battery changed by a mec so I'm pretty sure he would've noticed a bad connection or something to my battery, right? I don't know much about this stuff so I need a lil help

76,215

He probably would only notice the battery connections, and I'm sure he would have done what is necessary in connecting the battery cables. You can tap the starter yourself, and try, sometimes you have to figure out the combination.

30

OK...how exactly would I do that? & I kind of hve an idea whr the starter is located but I'm not 100% sure

76,215

Oh, well, the starter is on one side or the other underneath of the motor. You would have to jack the car up to get at it. You should get some help.

30

Sounds like it lol & thank u guys for all your help!

72,315

The starter is on the front bottom of the engine. The positive (+) battery cable goes directly to it. Yes, you can tap the starter yourself then try to start it. Depends on who installed the battery. Grab the cables and try to move them. If you can, with little effort, they're loose. Since your lights and everything stay on nice and bright I doubt it's a battery problem. HTH. -Jim

30

OK I'll try that out...thank u!