I just bought a 2000 Grand Prix and Iam noticing a antifreeze lick and every two months I. Need power steering fluid what's the problem with my car

Jimies Hagan

Asked by Dec 03, 2015 at 11:34 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

Jimies Hagan

I meant leak

1) coolant/antifreeze leak. Are there puddles on the ground where you park? If so, it needs a pressure test, pump air in the radiator and the leak will appear from the source of the leak. If no droppings of coolant, it is being consumed through the engine. 2) power steering fluid, it needs to have somebody turn steering wheel back and forth while somebody watches for leak. Usually the high pressure hydraulic line, but not always. Maybe a puncture in reservoir or slave cylinder connection.

Since you have the GT model you have the 3.8 liter V6. If it's not leaking antifreeze externally it's going to be an internal leak as Fordnut said. The 3.8s are notorious for intake manifold gasket failure. Usually between 90,000 and 120,000 miles. Pull the oil dipstick and look at the underside of the oil filler cap for white milky "goop". If it's there it's going to be the intake manifold gaskets. Do both the upper and lower intake gaskets. Don't reuse the original plastic upper intake manifold. Replace it. They're prone to cracking. These engines rarely, if ever, blow a head gasket. So don't be fooled by the " goop" if you find it. Also, if you discover it's the plastic elbows at the belt tensioner that are leaking replace them with the updated metal ones that are now available. They're much better and will last indefinitely. HTH. -Jim