I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8 liter that is loosing power.. Eventually it dies and then doesn't want to turn over at all! Replaced fuel filter then mass air flow sensor. any ideas??

30

Asked by Apr 05, 2015 at 10:32 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

It seemed fine after replacing sensor
long enough for me to drive an hour
tops before doing same thing again.
Power loss while driving then
completely dies for an hour or so

30

Sorry should have said mass air flow sensor METER..

10,060

wouldn't hurt to have the fuel pressure tested to make sure it is within specs.

56,565

Is the check engine light on or flashing while this is going on? If you have over 100,000 miles on the car you're due for a tune up (new spark plugs and spark plug wires). HTH. -Jim

30

The check engine light is on but staying on.. And car has like 67,000 miles on it.. I didn't know that it has some different cooling system in it and only supposed to use de cool

30

Dexcool in it and fill it a certain way.. I used regular antifreeze and put it in like a normal car.. Could that be the problem?

10,060

Bad idea to mix dex with anything! It can cause sludge build up, and lack of cooling ability at best, and gasket failure at worst. Don't know how long ago you did it, but a flush and refill would be a very good idea. As far as the drivability problems, it could have an effect if the coolant has been mixed and run long enough to cause serious damage. If the check engine light is on have the code scanned and post back.

56,565

Yes, have the computer scanned and post the trouble code(s) here and we can help. Most auto parts stores will do it for free. Check the antifreeze bottle. If it says "all makes/all models" on the bottle, your fine. But if it's the old fashioned green stuff, get it out of there. At 67,000 miles you're not due for a tune up but have the coil packs tested. One or more may be breaking down. If one of the coil packs is breaking down replace all 3. If one is failing the others are soon to follow. These engines are notorious for intake manifold gasket failure. Have that looked at as well. With the mileage you have on the car it's possible they haven't been replaced yet. HTH. -Jim

30

Thank everyone for all the help I will go get that scan done after work today and post the codes..

56,565

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim