What would cause door to lock when unlock is pushed inside vehicle?

Asked by Sep 10, 2016 at 07:03 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Coupe

2000 Grand Prix GTP Coupe. Key Fob was working only intermittently with the trunk unlock feature only. The doors did not function at all, but using the switch inside of car, all work great. I had the car scanned for a check engine light and while I was there, checked my fob against a battery display to see if it was working. it showed ok for the trunk and lock function but not the unlock. I went to get in the car and noticed that the doors were locked. I thought maybe the tech locked them by mistake. I tried the fob but nothing worked. The window was down so I unlocked the door from the inside. When I opened the door, the alarm sounded. I silenced the alarm, put the key in the ignition, and when I started the car, the alarm sounded again. It did this every time I opened the door or started the car for a day then seemed to be ok. Now, when I push my switch inside to unlock, the actuator works in the opposite and locks the door. Please help! Thank You

85

the buttons on your key fob might be stuck in. try removing the battery from it. and then check your switch's inside the car. if it still is acting weird maybe try disconnecting your negative battery cable and letting everything in your car reset.

68,445

Sounds like a bad key fob. Replace it. Also, check the power lock switch on the passenger's side. If that one works ok, driver's switch is bad too. To program the new fob follow the instructions that come with the new fob. On your Grand Prix you'll need to remove the MALL PGM fuse that's in the glove box fuse box. This puts the BCM (Body Control Module) in program mode. When you have programmed the new fob(s) to the car. Reinstall the MALL PGM fuse. HTH. -Jim

Thank You both for great answers. I will try these tips and let you know what becomes of them. I greatly appreciate the quick responses.