Car don't pick up speed fast

Asked by May 05, 2013 at 04:23 AM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr SE Sedan

What's the condition of the transmission? Sounds like it may need to be serviced.

wood, that's not much information to go on. For one, please tell us more about what is happening..and hopefully tenspeed will see this, he is our resident Pontiac expert. I don't know Michael McGrail but from what I have seen he does strike me as somebody that knows what he is talking about. Meantime please elaborate. It's possible you are in "limp mode", any warning lights on? CEL? Anything???

And for God's sake...please don't consider ME as a Pontiac expert..rather as someone who spent 5 years in hell as a Pontiac Fiero owner (Actually contemplated driving it off a bridge and parachuting out....But thought "How can I do this and not attract the attention of the Philadelphia, PA Bridge Police"?).....also had a 2000 and 2005 Grand Prix as company cars. The gas tank of the 2000 model actually separated from the car within a few days after being delivered from the Dealer ..WTF? Thankfully, my company got that fixed before me and the car exploded in a fiery ball of flame!!

Good morning Racer! That is horrible! I have heard many horror stories about the Fiero...or Fire~O..but that one takes the cake

Or are you saying it was the Pontiac that had the gas tank separate?

Hey David...Just to clarify: There were isolated cases of certain models of Fieros (the 4 cylinder ones, I think) that experienced engine fires...While I didn't have this issue with the GT V6 model, I DID have problems with the engine overheating b/c they stuffed a 2.8L V6 in basically the same engine bay size as the 4 cylinder and on top of that...there wasn't adequate venting: 2 small airflow vents on the side and slots on the engine bay covers were just not enough. The gas tank separated on the 2000 Grand Prix that I had,,,Ugh!

Gotcha. I know this is a Pontiac question....but anybody ever notice the disproportionate number of questions we get about Chrysler products here on this forum? I don't know the percentage of Chrysler products on the road, from the Ram pickup, the 300, Durango, whatever but it just seems like so many questions about broken~ass cars and trucks are Chrysler products

Hmm? The last time I made a negative comment on here about a POS Chrysler, I had every MOPAR fan boy on here calling me "Un- American" or "You got it all wrong, My 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser is awesome ...Japanese car suck". BUT I stick to my guns when it comes to how horrible and unreliable they've been. I have a co- worker who bought a new Chrysler 200 (before I met him and before I could warn him)...he says he loves it and wishes he could've afforded a 300 instead of the 200...LMAO!! In interest of keeping him as a friend of sorts, I chose not discuss my views and just said nice car (it is a nice looking car - inside and out) and rides well (at least to our short lunchtime trip for Chines food). But I know he's in for a major let-down and he has a new baby too + he and his wife are a ONE car family....OMG!

Yep. Notice though I did not say Chrysler products are inferior...only pointing out the number of questions about problems with them vs. the number of them on the road..but draw your own conclusions about that! I have always been "Buy American" but I have to say Toyota has won me over, on my recent road trip I felt so confident, safe, there was a snowstorm (yes, in May) and on top of all that I went 400 miles before buying gas. I clocked it at 39.0mpg I usually don't do that, run it that low, but at 400 miles I still did not get a 'low fuel' warning and at 402 miles the tank took 10.3 gallons to fill, holds 13.2. Prices: Calif. $3.95 Nevada 3.40 Colorado 3.40 Wyoming 3.20