Getting a code P0442 and P0442 pd after my car stalled out going down the road and had to tow it home.

5

Asked by May 05, 2016 at 06:09 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr GTP Supercharged Sedan

Not sure if it matters, but we just put new exhaust on and replaced both CV shafts.  After we got it all fixed it ran fine, I filled up car (first time totally filling it since I bought it, was only sticking $20 premium in at a time before this) and after I replaced the gas pump and put the gas cap on and went to get in the car I noticed gas coming out from under the car (looked under car and could see it coming out of the end of a line, it stopped after approx. 1/4 gal dripped out.  Was told it might just be some type of over flow?  But I stopped pumping when it clicked up indicating it was full!)  I drove it all that day w/o a problem, then it sat for like 3 days and the next time I drove it, it only made it 1 mile down the road before it started acting up.  It stalled out and would fire up and stall out again and finally wouldn't restart at all, so finally towed it home.  3-4 days later went out and tried to start it and it fired right up and stayed running.  But I'd like to find out how I can fix this before I dare drive it and get stranded again!

4,245

I'm not sure what the codes mean, (try googling them) but I'd be inclined to change the fuel filter. The leak might be originating there plus a new filter from time to time is part of proper maintenance. Regardless of what the codes say, its probably time for a new one, and if its the fuel pump that's going a new filter is mandatory at the same time. Having said that I just changed mine for the first time at 135,000 miles (I forgot! OK?) because it started leaking at the inlet side. If its as old and rusty as mine was be prepared for a major ordeal getting it off, and if you're not well equipped with tools and know how you might even want to pay a shop to do it. You can damage fuel lines etc if things go badly under there.

4,245

Also... if its not the fuel filter that's leaking you need to find the source of the leak. I don't believe there's any type of overflow that drains to the ground. That tube you saw probably needs to be connected to something. A rust hole near the top of the gas tank, though extremely unlikely is also a possibility.