I have the 4 Dr GTP Supercharged. I purchased the car and it didn't have an owner's manual. My question is there is a little button on the left side of the stick shifter, what is it for?

55

Asked by Mar 31, 2008 at 01:08 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr GTP Supercharged Sedan

6,895

traction control if you want a manual, you can try the dealer, e-bay, or a google search

6,895

opps or it could be your overdrive on/off switch

od switch.

55

It is the performance shift button. When it is turned on it lets you stay in gear longer to get more power out of the engine. When it's on it should say 'performance shift' on the display right above your radio.

45

Performance Shift. It consumes more gas when you have it on, but you can def. feel the difference!!

10,125

your car is equiped with an elctronically controlled torque converter. Engauging the button alters shift pionts for better acceleration. Does not change performance of the engine. Should inform you of activation by iluminating a "performance shift" light on you DIC (display above the radio).

10,125

Again, where do yu get you information. Do some research man, you are wrong on almost everyone you reply to.

35

It's a performance shift. When on It raised shift points to 6200 rps. plus increased line pressure!

The button on th eleft side of the stick shift on my 99 GTP is for performance shift. It lets the engine rev higher for quick starts. If you put it on to race remember to turn off the auto traction control.

95

My husband who is a used car sales person; and I say it is your traction control button. Mine is on the console, near the back. Also, a light comes on in the instrument panel. My GTP is a 2004.

30

do not get confused with the old toyotas, it does not do anything for performance like opening injectors more or anything, it just alters the shift times

15

ya the botton is the performance shift button that changes the shift points and engages the clutch alot harder than it would without the botton pressed

145

its performance shift it works too :)