1999 Grand Prix GTP

20

Asked by Jul 09, 2016 at 07:09 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr GTP Supercharged Coupe

My car starts and dies within seconds.  The check
engine light is not on.  We were driving down the
highway and it just died.  If we push the gas pedal
it will run but once we let off it shuts off....

59,205

Sounds like either a dirty throttle body or bad IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. You can clean the throttle body with a can of carburetor cleaner. HTH. -Jim

3,635

Then scan it for trouble codes. The computer likely knows what's wrong.

20

Ok. So now my car will stay on but will shut off when we push on the gas petal... not sure what is going on....

3,635

Maybe a fuel pump that's getting ready to quit, although they usually do just quit and don't really act up beforehand. Maybe a badly plugged catalytic converter although you can usually still drive the car gently and it only starts backfiring and jerking and maybe even quitting when you accelerate hard or try to climb a hill. Maybe any number of electronic sensors or even a failing computer. The next step really is to scan it for trouble codes, or did I already mention that?

20

Thank you! We think it is the fuel pump. It just died on us on the highway without any warning at all.

3,635

To be sure you can check the fuel pressure. You can also turn the key to the run position without trying to start the car. If you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds and then stop, its likely not the problem. If you hear nothing then it most likely is, although there are also circuit breakers and relays than could be at fault, but 95% of the time its the fuel pump. Make sure though. It's a big job changing the pump and you don't want to do it if that's not really the problem.

Shaking in my 2004 grand 55 has a little sooner or shake! Everything looked good and tight underneath had it all checked! They said bad tire! Could this be it!

20

I took my car in and it was the fuel pump resistor. Had it fixed!!!

59,205

For future reference, that resistor is used on GTP (Supercharged) models only and is on the inside of the right front fender, behind the battery. Thanks for letting us know! -Jim

3,635

A bit hard to know what you're asking. decode your post into english and we may be able to offer more help. Often tires are blamed for bad axle shafts and wheel bearing problems. Rotate the tires front to back. If the problem goes away or changes significantly then it may be a bad tire. If it stays basically the same then its something in the front driveline like a bad axle.