i had three mass air flow systems replaced and my light is still on. I need to pass emmissions, and the code always says that it is the mass air flow stystem. I am going crazy. Any suggestions?

Asked by Aug 08, 2012 at 04:15 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr GT Coupe

16,165

Useing factory air box? Need to make sure it is getting the 5v referance voltage and the ground is there. Have someone who knows what they are doing test it because you are dealing with wires to the pcm. Probably an electrical issuse.

check the prongs in the plug make sure none are bent. which state are in ? in NY even if the light is off the car has to be driven a certain way for about 15 -20 miles to reset the computer to pass.

2,685

make sure you are not getting any air leaks that could give false readings

1. The OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of each other). 2. The ignition key must not be left on prior to the cold start - otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and one-half minutes, with the air conditioning (A/C) and rear defrost turned on, if equipped. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph under moderate, constant acceleration. Hold at a steady speed of 55 mph for three minutes. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking (or depressing the clutch for manual transmissions). Accelerate again back to 55 to 60 mph. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking.

the engine light has to be off before starting the cycle.

3,055

did you clear the code after you installed the new mas air flow.