so I have a friend that has a 02 Pontiac grand prix se and he is getting a 98 Pontiac grand prix gtp, the 98 gtp's transmission is slipping, will the transmission out of the 02 se work in the gtp?

Asked by Jan 31, 2014 at 08:20 AM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr GTP Supercharged Sedan

4,895

Yes, it will bolt up, basically, but please read on: The 98 came with two trannys, depending on engine size. If the 98 is the 3.8L engine, the tranny is "physically" the same as the 2002 (4T65E). If the 98 is the 3.1L its the 4T60E tranny. Either one will bolt up, and the 65E is a slightly better trans. But why not just buy a rebuilt one and save a LOT of labor and possible computer issues, not to mention having to yank two units. The fact that they bolt up is only the first consideration: the torque converters are different in that stall speeds are matched to engine HP, and GM produced 12 variations in final drive ratios as well. In addition, you may find that the electronics and connectors are different. So it will work.. maybe... but I strongly suggest going the rebuilt route with the correct torque converter, electronics, and final gear ratio.

okay thank you for your advice I really appreciate it. neither me nor my friend want that to do that much work lol

so one more quick question for you. he already previously purchased a shift kit for the SE model car will the shift kit from the SE model car work the GTP model

4,895

Depends on the shift kit, they are specific for the model. You can check with the manufacturer on that but it will probably work.

4,465

Don't overlook the auto wreckers. Because the transmissions are so model specific and because the GTP was not the most commonly produced car the parts you are looking for occasionally languish on an auto wrecker's shelf for years. Check online, and of course be careful. I recently purchased a complete transmission with torque converter with only 36,000 miles on it for my '03 GTP from a small town wrecker who had parted out a wrecked car in '06. The transmission is basically brand new. We changed all the input and output seals and my son put it in. Even with freight the whole deal was done for under $1000 which is about all you want to spend on an older car anyway. Putting a new or rebuilt transmission in a '98 makes no sense at all.