Pontiac Grand Prix noise when turning

20

Asked by Jul 12, 2013 at 02:28 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr GTP Supercharged Sedan

I have a 1998 Grand Prix that makes a noise when turning. The best way i can describe the noise is that it sounds slightly like a whale. kind of a 'whurrrmm' sound but not a metallic grinding sound or anything like that. it used to make this noise only when i made really tight turns. now the noise seems to occur more frequently while driving. sitting parked and turning the wheel is most noticeable. i have noticed that if i push the accelerator when turning (even slightly) that the noise will not happen when driving. also, i can feel something in the wheel when the noise occurs.  what would cause my car to do this and how could i fix it?
thanks

....yes you need a new belt tensioner with idler pulley

Best Answer

...and belt too~

20

thank you for the quick response and also for posting pictures with prices.

3,005

could be low power steering fluid. Try topping off your power steering fluid. The reservoir has a cap on the back, left side of the engine when looking at it.

3,005

might also be a worn cv joint. Check under your car and see if any of the rubber boots on the axle half shafts are torn, if so, the grease could have dried up and got contaminated, causing the cv joints to wear.

of course the axles, thanks Dorian, yes shimmy under there with a large phillips screwdriver...poke at the CV boots...the right side will need replacement

10

How much am I looking at to fix this problem? I'm having the same issue and the first post couldn't explain it better.