vehicle will turn over but not fire?

95

Asked by Dec 03, 2012 at 03:11 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr GT Sedan

I am currently having troubles with my 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT and I cannot figure out what the problem is. The vehicle was driving just fine until it began to decelerate and the engine began to rock back and forth, after I parked the car there was a single audible clunk and the car would not start. The clunk only happened one time. The motor still turns over but will not fire. I am sorry to bother you about this but I am hoping that you can assist me in diagnosing the problem that I am experiencing with my car. I appreciate any suggestions on what to look into to get the vehicle running again. Thank you for your time in this matter.

5,925

Oh don't apologize for asking for help! :) This website is here so people can help people with their car problems... Unfortunately, It sounds like you may have experienced fuel pump failure... One way to tell is turn the key to 'on' but don't crank the engine and have someone stand at the back of the car by the fuel tank to listen to the pump... If you do NOT hear a low soft humm of about 3 seconds, then your fuel pump has probably failed... Before you crank the engine the fuel pump should prime itself and you should be able to hear it. Let me know if this doesn't help you... I will gladly help you troubleshoot.

12,035

Yes.... another way to tell is to spray a small amount of starting fluid into intake while turning engine over. If it fires then you have fuel delivery issue. If not most likely ignition issue.

2,705

crankshaft position sensor is another item that can fail at any time and your car will not start

2,705

clunk could have been timing chain, in that case would need new timing chain and gears

Tho is a question I got this car same problem I changed the file pump and a mad air folw sencor also did a oli change and change the throttel cable now I have did a diagnostic it said high rps so I brought the throttle cabel down noelw it starts and it runs but now its came to were I wants to start then die like the rpms aren't high enough to catch but its done this off and on and I had to adjust the cabel not the cabel sits were it was idoling fine now it wont start what can be the problem and hoe can I fix it