Can't remove the key from the ignition

Asked by May 01, 2016 at 10:07 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr GTP Supercharged Coupe

Most times I can't get the key out of the ignition while in park. Car will shut off ok but the key won't move to the lock position. Once in awhile after moving the shifter back and forth the key will move and I can remove it.

4,055

Sounds like an electrical problem at the base of the steering column. I believe there's a solenoid that activates to release the key when you put it in park. Maybe google for service bulletins on the subject. It was an issue with a number of models in that era.

It was a broken wire at the electrical connector to the shifter. Problem solved for now