i have a 98 gtp will the motor out of a 2004 grand prix work?

Asked by Feb 26, 2016 at 12:11 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr GTP Supercharged Coupe

135

The 1998 GTP used GM's L67 supercharged 3800 Series II V6 with the 4T65E-HD four speed transmission. The 2004 GTP used the L32 supercharged 3800 Series III V6. The 2004 GTP also used the 4T65E transmission, so the issue won't be there. The issude will be whether or not the difference betwee the Series II and Series III will matter with the car's computer. There shouldn't be much difference between the two. I think the Series III had a newer fuel injection system and a faster PCM (power- train control module). If you wanted to try to Series II to get a little more power, I would suggest potentially looking into an '04 ECU as well to replace the ECU in the '98.

I have the ecu from the 04 as well thank u was just wondering b4 I started the project

with the 04 not being a gtp can is it possible to put the pulleys on I haven't looked if I can just bold the pulley on or not

135

The only difference between the two engines as far as pulleys go would be the pulley and belt for the supercharger. I guess I don't really understand what you are asking. But if you want to know if you can just swap out the pulleys, I would say stick with the pulleys for that specific engine.

wondering since im going from a supercharger to the 04 which isn't supercharged if I can swap my pulleys around to make the 04 supercharged

135

Probably not. You'd also have to change a shit load of internal engine parts to handle the extra power. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as bolting a supercharger or turbocharger on and calling it good.