Can I put a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP motor in a 97 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

Asked by Feb 23, 2017 at 02:57 AM about the 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr SE Sedan

Engine swap

10

I would have to say yes, it can be done. But you will need to change most if not all the harnesses that operate the engine itself, and more. There are companies that specialize in building harnesses for almost any app. Unless your trying to prove a point or something, The costs will be extreme, and the system will never operate bug free, system problems, and its a 97, recycle.

73,055

If there the same size engine. But you may have to swap parts from on engine to the other.

I think every thing is the same there both 3800 just one a SE and the other is a GTP I have the wiring harness and the PCM I'm just wondering how much will it match up ?

73,055

If you can get the original set up on top of the motor, you would not have to mess with the wiring harness and PCM. Should be able to just swap parts if need be. Just have to look at the two engines and compare them.

Thx I have took a look at both look the same but some differents but it looks like it will work but the PMC is going to have to be changed ?

73,055

What differences to you notice? And if you can get the original set-up thats in the car then you would not have to change the PCM.

O ok just thought since it a 97 car getting a 00 motor may need a upgrade plus it's a SE going to a supercharger big difference

73,055

Well you didn't mention that. Then you may have to change out the PCM. It is just important that everything plugs into the wiring harness.

Lol. Now u see what I'm talking about but I think every thing will match up just the PCM and some of the wiring harness

73,055

Switch the wiring harness if you have too, but don't be slicing and dicing into it. If you use the other PCM and the wiring harness are the same then no problem.

I got to say thx man for the information

73,055

Your welcome.

10

Did I wake yall up, I thought I was here alone. You guys know as well as I do, the odds of this swap will or would, or could be a disaster, but I understand. Are you guys picking on the new guy, naw you wouldn't do anything like that, man I'm sorry for even thinking something that crazy. Well you try to under cut the new guy again, the new guy will follow everyone of you, and make your answers look like a third grader answered them, and really your not doing a bad job of that by yourselves. Maybe I was to professional in the answers I gave, but that's exactly what's expected, I expect the same from you too. I have a photographic memory, anything I lookat for a short time, I know how to do, so I'm going to locate all the fickin 2 year old questions and answer them. And another thing I know there a ring leader here, you been demoted, and how many Jerrys Kids are actually mechanics, or engineers. Theres a reason I'm here, and I'll be here when your all gone. either do whats expected and you agreed to , or go waste some elses time. You can sign out right now, theres people waiting to sign. m going to start

Thanks for the info

Ok I have got the 2000 engine in and have the harness in the only thing is the contacts the go in side the car don't match can anyone tell a place that makes one are how to go about doing it

73,055

You probably need to get that off of the 2000 if you uses that wiring harness. You need that wiring harness along with the ECM and PCM from the 2000.