trans noise

Asked by Jan 05, 2016 at 02:18 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr GTP Supercharged Coupe

i have a 97 gtp, my question is,  all of the sudden when it shifts it sounds like something is going to break in to. it only does it when it up shifts, after it shifts there is no noise or vibration it runs smooth as silk till it shits again then the noise. can anyone tell me where to look or what the problem is. thanks in advance

3,865

Drive it gently to your nearest transmission shop and get it looked at. Sounds like its about to pack it in but regardless you're not going to be able to diagnose it by looking at it. They will want to pull the pan and see what is in it besides fluid. Prepare yourself for bad news. I've heard those noises and they are rarely good.

go figure, i check it out and drove it about 20 miles, i must have stopped and let it go through the gears and nothing. it shifts like a new one. by the way the tr ans only has 6 k miles on it