is a Pontiac Grand prix 97 3.8l v6 w/o SC the same engine as the Grand prix GTP 3.8l With SC?

Asked by Jul 09, 2015 at 04:16 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr GTP Supercharged Coupe

I have a 97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SC and it Turned a Rod bearing and i was wondering if the 3.8l W/O SC out of a 97 Grand Prix GT will work in my  GTP with my Supercharger? Is the block the same. I have good heads and intake and Supercharger if the heads are different. I thought someone told me one time that the 3.8l SC was built stronger than the 3.8 W/O SC. Like steel crank and forged pistons or something and diff cam maybe. But i could use all the top end from my engine cam and stuff.

135

Below is from a different forum but I think it applies here as well. There are strength differences in the parts of the engine. But probably more important is the transmission. Don't turn that into mush by putting in a stronger engine. "There is much more to it than just dropping in the sc on a naturally aspirated engine, but droping a sc engine in would be much less work, tranny would be optional with A HUGE* if you drive it hard you will need a stronger lower end, and the ecu, and a larger air filter or preferable cold air intake, and less restrictive exhaust would also be a good idea the turbo kit would be much less work, the cartuning performance kit comes with a reprogramed pcm, all the necessary exhaust modifications, and since it is a turbo it is much easier on the input and output shafts than supercharged power. But if you really want a supercharger with a lot of kick, there is a centrifugal sc kit out for 3800s that would easily give the largest performance gains...along with a beating on every stock part of you car. centrifugal sc power is easily the best way to go for performance, they are basically just turbos driven by the crank, much less inefficient than roots type superchargers, and they still have all of a superchargers benefits over turbos."

3,875

Actually it doesn't apply at all. The OP wants to retain the supercharger and heavy duty transmission that he already has and simply substitute the bottom end from a non supercharged engine. The question is is the bottom end of a non supercharged 3.8 the same as that of a supercharged one. Having said that it shouldn't be too tough to find a complete supercharged 3.8 from a car with a failed transmission since its often the transmission that's the first to go.

135

Thanks for the clarification. On that note, I had the same issue about 6 months ago. I got a Jasper reman block with all new internals, they reused the heads and SC. The total installed out the door with a 3 yr 100k parts and labor warranty for $4000. I have piece of mind that it's good without worries about issues with other engine failures..