my 97's battery keeps draining and i have no idea why i think ive got an open ground im not sure or even like how to trace it

25

Asked by Dec 01, 2012 at 01:16 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr GT Coupe

145

check for a parasitic, that will drain a battery fast depending on what's causing the parasitic...or your battery is just too old and the electrolytes aren't transferring/holding their charge properly..and one more thing to check is the alternator, you may either need a new one for several reasons, if it's old the copper windings in it may have a lot of oxidation and can't provide the proper voltage and also check the wires on it as well

33,705

Leaning towards a bad battery or maybe a parasitic load. Have the battery tested at an auto parts store and if it tests good then you will have to learn how to use an amp meter to find the parasitic load. Assuming it stays running once its jumped is a sign that the alternator is good.