How to remove my governor on my GP

Asked by Apr 09, 2014 at 05:27 PM about the 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 Dr GTP Coupe

Hey, i have a 1996 grand prix 3.4 completely stock it'll go around 110mph then she
shuts down. This really kills me when i meet up with imports as they got more than that
on the top end. Not much but its still more. I'd really like to find out how to get it
unlocked(governor removed). Can these cars be chipped or reprogrammed. If so where
could i get this done and around how much would it cost. Or would i have to buy a
programmer and if i were to buy one would it always have to be plugged in to the car to
have it unlocked and how much would it cost me.

programmers do not stay plugged in to the car, unless it's for a diesel with ability for real-time power level changes. try hypertech or superchips for a programmer. that is the only way to do it.

Change out the chip with a hp chip

how much would a hypertech or superchips programmer cost me and where could I get one? What else would this programmer do for the car and are they interchangeable between cars?

What are some upgrades I could do on the 3.4 to help me with my HP because I can't really find anything specific for this engine and right now a 3.8 swap is kind of out of the question. Would a cold air intake really help my hp as much as people say. and would I be able to use a cold air intake thats not specifically for the engine.

Would a hypertech chip remove the governor on my car. And how much do they cost