What could be wrong???

Asked by Jun 05, 2012 at 08:14 AM about the 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 Dr SE Sedan

I have a pontiac Grand Prix SE 1994 I can start it but it dies right away I restart it it keeps dieing unless I give it just a bit of gas to keep the tac at 1.. When I pull up to traffic lights or stop signs it wants to die unless I keep the tac about 1-1/2. When she does run it is smooth sailing while driving, a bit of loss power when going up hills but all in all she does good for as old as she is.she will ldile once she is good and warmed up but the tac flucuates between 1 and 2. Ocassionally when I go to pull out in traffic she wants to die the tac drops out and I got to play with the gas to get her going out of the way of on coming traffic ( kinda scary at times) I dont know much about cars at all and I bought this car for only 500 because it was within my budget and I needed it to get back and forth to work. Not sure if it's a 93 or a 94 it says 01/94 inside the door but all the 94's I see have regular front ends this has lights all the way across the front. would really like to keep this car running because she seems to get good gas miliage.... can someone please help me to figure out what is wrong with it  why it wont run right for me??? Is this something that will be easy to fix and fairly cheap or is it something that will cost me and arm and a leg and I would be better of getting rid of it?  Thank you for being here with out you all I would be totally lost !

237,265

I'd start with a basic tune-up. Clean the throttle body and replace the air filter, spark plugs and wires. Check for vacuum leaks and top off all fluids, oil, transmission, power steering if low.

try changing the fuel filter,

2,905

sounds like fuel pump and filter.

3,865

I don't think it would go at all if it was the fuel pump although it could be a fuel filter. I know you don't have a lot to spend but I'd try to scrape together enough dollars to have a professional look at it. It could be a bunch of things, some fairly cheap and some too expensive to be worth it. A few dollars spent on diagnostics could save you a fortune on wasted repairs on a car that might have had its day. Good luck.

140

your vacuum hoses, I'm sure, are 18 years old. I would first start by checking all the vacuum hoses. You'd be amazed by how 1 lil hose can cause a car to have an erratic idle. Grab a can of carb cleaner and spray around all the hoses, if the idle changes...runs lower or higher...you may have found the problem. Depending on the mileage...a complete tune up may be in order. Starting with the fuel filter...everyone over looks the fuel filter and it should be changed every 15-20,000 miles.