what is this broken piece?

60

Asked by Dec 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Grand Am SE

I was having issues with my car and so I popped the hood and noticed this piece was
broken. (red circle in picture) my car will run with this piece broken, but I don't know what
it is. I can obviously see I need to replace it, but don't know what to buy. Guys at the part
store don't know and I can't get ahold of my mechanic friends at the moment.

111,155

It appears to be a hard vacuum hose.

60

would this be a cause for code P0301? We had this error code previously and it includes spark plugs, injectors, fuel pressure...etc... we changed the spark plugs because they needed it anyway but none of them were really all that bad in my opinion. It just showed up with this code again. Its near the fuel pressure regulator, so I didn't know if it was related to that or not.

either side suckin'...or blowin...mend the piece with a piece of soft silicone hose...whatever it was doin' will do it again then~

your misfire is on cylinder one...does this sound right? I'd assure good ground to the chassis~

sounds about right...the fuel pressure regulator is an often overlooked item because it will NOT appear as an OBD-II trouble code~

60

thats right, it just has multiple reasons for the misfire and I'm not sure why. I was going to just bridge the gap in the line with some hose but didn't know if that would be a good idea, its a really hard plastic but I don't know if it was made hard by the engines heat, it was really brittle and since that picture another piece broke off from me fiddling and trying to get a better look at things.

the idle air control on these gets touchy and incorrigable~ hows the idle? if I may ask?....so the fuel pressure is good...?~

111,155

It could if it just happens to go to the fuel pressure regulator.

60

I don't believe its 13 on the diagram.... it had been idling rough before i changed the spark plugs and ran smoothly for a couple of days and then started up with rough again, but not constantly only sometimes. I'm going to have to test the fuel pressure to rule it out from the error code showing up again.

you're right, that looks like an air conditioning tube...say, the one makes sense~ https://www.google.com/#q=2005+Pontiac+Grand+Am+SE+fuel+pressure+r egulator

60

it seems to be going into the wiring harness that is going to the dash...? I'm gonna try to see if just repairing the line will be sufficient, thanks for all the input

111,155

That's what I would advise. Fix it and then have your codes cleared. With it going into the dash it's probably going to your heater/ac damper doors. But the vacuum leak in it self can cause code issues.

60

yeah, my heaters been weird recently so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the issue. thanks again

111,155

If it was mine and with how much a pain in the a$$ it can be to replace a full length damper door vacuum hose. I would get a piece of rubber vacuum hose(about two inches in length) that will tightly slide over the end where yours is broken and put other broke end in the other end of the rubber hose(rubber hose splicing the two broke ends together). This makes a fairly good fix when in a jam.

5

Mine broke on my 2004 3400. It's a vacuum for the a/c heater control. I just repaired mine with hose you use for the windshield washer. Since it is a vacuum line you will need something that won't collapse under vacuum pressure.

40

mine was broken off as well with nothing left... where does it go... did you find out

40

mine is for a 2003 pontiac grand prix...any pictures detailing the route it goes and connects to would be helpful..

20

Mine is broke off as well and have no idea where it goes. Did anyone figure it out?

Mine broke in my 2003 malibu . Instead of replacing the entire hose i bridge it with a connector/adapter .