turbocharger

15

Asked by Jul 19, 2008 at 03:12 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 Coupe

Can you turbo charge the 3400 and how much does it cost to do it?

25

it is possible to turbo charge or super charge just about anything these days! as for the cost? How long is a piece of string! it will depend on the amount of work required, are there parts already available or will they have to be specially fabricated! How far do you want to go!? What sort of turbo, power gains etc do you want? Also consider the other parts and work required! I turbo charged an old chevette, the turbo was huge, the intercoolers were as big and the work required unbeilevable, the cost went into the thousands! But it was very very worth it!

15

OK thanks man Yeah i am having trouble finding the turbocharger for it that is why i was asking if it is possible to turbo it. Thanks for the help too :)

250

Well the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP has the 3400 supercharged. You might can't find one that is wrecked and get the E.C.U. and the supercharger off of it.

9,775

the 3800 was supercharged!!!!!! NOT THE 3400

9,775

Try this web site. They started by specializing with the grand prix's and grand am's. http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GA3017/GAUNDER/RSM+Supercharger+Kit.html

15

thanks man

250

yea i got them backwards, my bad.

65

Helpful website. They sell superchargers for the 2.4L as well. I don't know if my 2001 could handle that, though.

55

Yes, although you will need to have a lot of custom work done. Plus, the transmission is weak, so don't expect it to last long without blowing that out too. There are no pre-made kits for the Grand Am, just general kits that need a lot of custom work to get to fit.

55

Supercharger/ecu off the 3800 GP will NOT work on the 3400 GA

BUT FIRST ALWAYS REMEMBER!! when putting on a supercharger or a turbo, its not just a plug and play! you must make sure that the compression of the turbo to motor ratio is correct so you don't blow any seals or warp the heads! always make sure you take your grand am or grand prix to a highly trained performance mechanic! yes the GTP is supercharged but it has bigger heads and pistons than the normal 3800 does so you will still have some slight motor work necessary. WITH THAT SAID. you can plug and play, but NEVER EXCEED OVER 12 POUNDS! 12 pounds will give you MAYBE 75 - 90 horses depending on the turbo, and also how your waste gate is ran and the configurement of your setup. keep in mind that doing a half assed job will give you half assed performance! Personally I am in the middle of making a LS7 with rear wheel drive swap in a 2004 coupe and also doing a 50 MM turbo adjustment in a 2003 grand am se2 sedan. I have already spent well over $7,000 on the se2 and another $3,500 on the LS7. just remember, your transmission and ecu MUST be configured aswell, meaning an upgraded torque converter and the internal gears if you wanna go faster than 144 without the rev limiter. But as always. RACE HARD, BUT PLAY HARDER!

There is a place that makes a lower intake adaptor to allow the 3.8 clutch driven supercharger to bolt on to a 3.4 as for cost not sure but the advantage to using the factory 3.8 supercharger is its a centrifugal clutch driven supercharger so no real tune is needed as it will only make boost when your well into the throttle GM's way of making it very generic an allowing no real custom tuning but that is on a 3.8 tho lot better motor then the 3.4