Overheat in traffic 2004 Pontiac Grand Am

Asked by Dreamn Jun 08, 2015 at 01:54 AM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE2

I own a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am with the 3400 V6 motor.  2 years ago I replaced the
radiator.  This weekend the temp gauge went up to 220 range when driving in stop and
go traffic.  Once traffic picked up it went down to 200.  I replaced the thermostat and
drove it.  It still went to the 220 mark before I started driving it and once I did it went
down to the 190 mark.  Recommendations on what I might be dealing with.  So
Radiator 2 years old and thermostat replaced.  No coolant leaks or needed to be
added.

20,055

I would still suspect the thermostat but see if your radiator cap is releasing at the correct pressure. If the cap checks out OK, then I would drop in a different thermostat.

Thank you. I had replaced the thermostat right before I entered this post and test drove it for about 30 mins and it continued. I was a tech at a dealership from 1989-1996 and this was a first time experience where a thermostat didnt fix the problem.

230

sounds like you may have a fan not kicking on problem and which case you want to run your a/c while you are driving nonstop. then get some 12 gauge wire , some red and black and run it into the battery and a kill switch you can hook up under the dash. you will need to turn that on when you are driving and off when you are not. if i am right your fans are not kicking on right.

I would suggest replacing the overflow cap if it is old..took over year to figure why mine kept overheating but soon as I replaced the cap, I've had no problems, runs under 200 now..cant hurt to try, a $10 fix is it would be & if the cap doesn't work, you can always return it within 30 days ☺