2004 grand am is overheating and i coolant going down

Asked by Apr 25, 2017 at 05:15 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE

My 2004 grand am is overheating and losing
coolant... but i see no leaks ...i got an airlock
removed yesterday and got the coolant topped
up... but still heating... plz help

7,475

pull the oil fill cap and look at the bottom and tell us what you see , also what does the exhaust look like ?

13,100

Make sure your cooling fan on the radiator is working then make sure your radiator cap is tight ... if it's loose the radiator won't have the pressure to keep the coolant from boiling

There is no radiator cao in this car and the coolant cap is tight fitted in there... ???

7,475

The cap is probably buried and coolant goes in the reservoir but yeah , see if the rad. fans are clicking on when it gets too hot , that should have been # 1 ,(oops)

I checked the fans and took the temp over 100°C but fans doesn't start on thier own...i need to turn on the AC first... then the fans start.. Don't know why is this happening

13,100

The relay/fuses are inside that black fuse box just in back of the battery ... You can use the AC to keep both fans running until you locate the problem

7,475

I would think normal operating temp. would be about halfway on the temp. gauge , give or take . So 100 c is above what you think is normal , whats that 212 f , yeah thats a little high I guess . Usually it's the temp. sensor , If I knew how to test it I would tell you , or you can replace it .Fans coming on when A/C/ is on is normal and the gauge drops when they do ? what does it look like under the oil fill cap ? what does the exhaust look like?

13,100

A 7 lb radiator cap will not open until about 231F and a 15 lb cap is good for about 250F before you boil over

I'm not loosing coolant but my 2004 grands am gt s fans only kick in when the air is on. They don't kick in themselves. Idk what to do. I just changed an alternator, I'm a girl that's going off memory of my father. Can anyone help me? Is it a fuse?