Why does AirBag light come on after dealer replacement of both airbags on '04 Grand Am?

10

Asked by Feb 05, 2014 at 12:06 AM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE

My daughter ran my '04 Pontiac Grand Am into a curb so hard that the tranny was cracked, radiator bent, a/c condenser cracked and both air bags deployed. I was told by several mechanics that airbags needed to be replaced by dealership.  After a quote from dealer in excess of $10g to fix it all, I had them just do airbags & take elsewhere for all other repairs. After 3 months and $3900 at the GM dealer & another 2 months at independent shop I'm finally able to drive the car again but  AirBag light comes on. Is it possible the dealer didn't properly install airbags? Or is it just a sensor they forgot to reset? I'm really uncomfortable to take my car back to the dealer after they were so unprofessional and took an extremely long time to do the airbag replacement, but if they are at fault I can't afford to pay someone else to do it. The car only has 80g miles and no body damage at all so decided to have repaired and keep it.

40

You will have a trouble code stored in the computer. A professional grade scan tool is required to read the code (can't go to parts store for a scan). Get the code read and get back to us. The code will point to the problem and we can suggest if the Dealer is possibly responsible. Did they work on the car first or last?

10

They had it first since it was towed there. Will let you know after I have it checked by mechanic who did rest of the work.

65,075

The airbag system doesn't store trouble codes. Each time the car is started the airbag computer runs a self diagnosis of the system. If the light remains on there's a problem and a trouble code is stored. It's most likely the clock spring in the steering column or the impact sensors that sit right behind the front bumper. If you have radio controls on the steering wheel are they working? If not, the clock spring is bad. I'd keep taking it back to the dealer until they fix it right. You can also call GM customer service. The airbags will not deploy, even in a collision with the airbag warning light on. HTH. -Jim

the longer you wait the more reason they can say it wasn't on when you left... I would call them and let them know its coming back til they fix it like they were suppose to.. just my thoughts