Why is my spedometer bouncing, ABS light is on, Service engine light is on, Trac OFF light on?

Asked by Feb 25, 2013 at 03:30 AM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE

294,065

Check engine light and idle issue is related. The ABS and Trac off lights are related to a ABS snesor or module. Have your codes read/scanner hooked up to your car to find out what the exact problem is. ANy local auto parts store can do this for you for free. Post back the 4 digit codes and we can help further if you want to try and fix this yourself.

23,375

as tom says all related,if you have money to throw at it and in a hurry a good guess would be the rear speed sensor ,a magnetic tipped device measureing the each spin of the final output of drive line ,sometimes just greese on tip20% ,usally held by one # 10 mm bolt r r and reset light

107,975

I would say that you have two problems. The one is a bad front wheel speed sensor that is turning on the "Trac off"/ "ABS"/ "Service Vehicle Soon" (not CEL, it's often misreported). That's a common problem with the Grand AM/Alero/N body platform and I'm climbing out on a limb inferring that. Get the codes read like Tom said to confirm it. --- The bouncing speedometer needle is one I haven't heard of.

I just experienced a similar issue. Car began stuttering, Trac off light and Service Engine Soon light came on (but not ABS light). Got the car home, added fluids (which were very low) and the car seems to be running fine now. But the Service Engine light is still on. The code is P0304 which is Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected. I guess I'll reset and hope the problem does not repeat.