Why does "TRAC OFF" indicator light up?

Asked by Oct 11, 2010 at 02:09 AM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE

I have a 2004 pontiac Grand Am, 4cyl. (new battery, fresh oil change) My trac engine light came on today while I was driving ,instantly after the car began to jerk while going 32mph again at 60 mph and extremely hard while changing gears to park and reverse. I;ve never had this problem while driving or changing gears. What might be causing this?

Sounds like a bad Wheel Hub assembly.

i agree, i also have 04 grand am se1, v6, but have had those lights turn on and it was my wheel bearing/ hub assembly. best way to check drive car and listen to front end for humming,grinding,a light roaring sound, turn the wheel and see when it gets louder or softer, or raise front end of car, and shake tires up and down and side to side, if it feels loose bearing i have put 2 on my car very easy 3 bolts hold it on. hope i helped you some

Agreed, this era of GM front drives are known for chewing through bearings. The trac light coming on and usually the abs light aswell are tell tale signs.

A bad hub will not light up anything. A bad wheel speed sensor will light up the Trac Off, Brake and Service Vehicle Soon lights. If two wheel sensors are bad, the cruise control will not engage, Go to www.gaownersclub.com There are DIY threads with pictures for replacing the hubs.

mine did the same thing when the check engine light came on it was a timing issue

My check vehicle soon light , abs light , and Trac off light are all on . I checked the bearings by lifting the car up and seeing if any play is in wheels . To find no play either side .

.trac light and amp light goes on in off i just got2003 grandam