low coolant but no leak

Asked by Mar 24, 2016 at 09:45 PM about the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT

My coolant is going somewhere but I see no leaks.  
I don't know what it is. I've changed the reservoir,
the o rings I flushed out all the hoses. Any answers

105,485

Possibly a head gasket, have a block check test performed that will confirm or deny a blown head gasket.

20,430

Had same problem with a 2001 Mercury Sable the way I stopped the leak is removed top hose going to radiator and poured some Aluma Seal Stop Leak into hose then reconnected hose and that took care of the could not found anti freeze leak.

105,485

Don't put anything in the cooling system especially that car, there are way too many small cooling ports in the engine as well as the radiator and heater core, small enough that that stuff will block them.

20,430

Only will clog if you use more then what is recommended if does not stop leak the first time do not continue to add more hoping it will work that is when you can clog up the cooling system.

Cars with coolant overflow bottle, but with no radiator cap: These are problematic in getting the air bled out of the cooling system. This causes overheating, over-pressure leaks, hard on the head gasket, etc, I've been there, especially with my 2001 Grand Am. New water pump, thermostat, coolant overflow bottle; and it still spit water out of the weep hole on the water pump and thermostat gasket. No change until I got all of the air out of the cooling system. To Bleed Air: Run motor until hot, open the coolant overflow cover, fill the coolant overflow bottle fulll to the top, keep it full until big bubbles come. This WILL take out the air. The bleed screw/s on the motor can help if you have two bleed screws. If you have only one bleed screw on the motor, with the second bleed screw place having a hose going back to the overflow bottle, it is much better set up. When the bubbles come at the overflow bottle open cover, you will also see the small hose bubbling also. Keep it up for a little while (that's all it takes), and keep adding coolant until near the top. When the engine is cool, the coolant should contract back to the "cold coolant level' marked on the side of the coolant overflow bottle. Subtract some coolant at the bottle, if necessary when cold. When I got all of the air out of the engine, I had no more leaks at the water pump and no more leaks at the thermostat area. It now all works as it should.