2003 Grand Am wont start and draining battery dead

10

Asked by Mar 29, 2015 at 08:47 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE

I received this car free from a coworker that had been having trouble with the car not starting and draining brand new batteries to the point they wouldn't hold a charge.  The car had been sitting for a long time, she was getting ready to move and was going to junk the car. I looked at it one day and was able to start it via the remote starter.
I drove it several days trying to figure out everything it needed and parked it. After two days the battery was dead. She stated that they never had trouble with it until her sons failed attempt at installing an aftermarket radio. He junked the radio so, after reading all the post on this cars security features, I am at a loss as how to proceed without a radio. Please help.....

65,905

Sounds like a bad ground in the dash. Since you know the problem started with the radio I'd try pulling the radio fuse first and see what happens. You can also see if anything is staying on after the car is shut off. These cars have retained accessory power (RAP) as well as battery run down protection. After 10 minutes everything should be shut down. Example, when I'm cleaning my '00 Grand Prix the interior lights shut down after 10 minutes of having the doors open. They won't come back on until I either start the car or close then reopen a door. See if anything such as the dash lights, for example are staying on. A bad ground can do that as well as other strange things! Check all the fuses. He may have blown one or two during the botched radio replacement. HTH. -Jim

10

Thanks. That is where I will begin..

65,905

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim