Securtiy Issue

10

Asked by Jul 02, 2016 at 07:44 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT

HI, So my 2003 Pontiac grand am will not crank. When i turn the key you can hear the fuel pump engage but that's it. the security light has been on since i bought it (1 year ago). I have tried the relearn procedure and also have replaced the ignition switch and no dice. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

4,795

This may be the dreaded antitheft security system. Look for a picture on the dash when this happens that says SECURITY or a picture of a car with a lock through it. This a visual indication that something in the car's antitheft system is failing. In most GM cars and trucks there is a hidden system that most people are unaware even exists. From the moment you put your key in the ignition, there begins a constant line of communication between your key's security chip or transponder, to the ignition's lock cylinder, and then to the car's TDM (Theft Deterrent Module). These 3 parts are in CONSTANT communication. If the key is in the ignition, then these parts are sending signals to each other. The security light illuminates when that signal gets broken, or not seen at all. When the communication breaks, the car misinterprets this as an attempt at theft and goes into antitheft mode. (like it thinks it's being hot wired) The car shuts down because it is not getting that signal from YOUR specific key. This is why the security light turns on and shuts down your vehicle. It will either turn off the starter, or the fuel injectors. The vehicle may run for 2-3 seconds before shutting down. This link explains it pretty well. http://www.diy-gm-security.com/ http://newrockies.com/

63,315

Since the fuel pump is coming on it's not the security system. The security system will shut down the fuel, ignition, and starting systems. Sounds like the neutral safety switch, or possibly the BCM (Body Control Module). The relearn procedure will not work in your case either. HTH. -Jim

10

Looks like it was caused by using a tourq with a generic elm327 code reader.... Sometimes it will cause the engine to not start. The code was for a cylinder 1 misfire reset it and that is when we started having the issues. Idk if there are any ideas on that.

63,315

Check your fuses. I once scanned a friend's '97 Blazer and somehow the fuse for his taillights blew. Could be a PCM or ignition fuse that somehow blew during the scanning. HTH. -Jim

10

So just got it back from the shop... My guy went to school for gm passlock and said that was the problem... it sat at the shop for a few days and he found that the issue was that the remote start was not connected. Got the reconnected and $160 everything is all good... Thanks for all your help!

Cra Crank sensor