I have a 2003 grand am gt and the emergency brake light keeps coming on when I drive. My fluid levil is full and never goes down so I dont think its a leak. The light only comes on when I drive

Asked by Aug 21, 2015 at 01:24 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT Coupe

42,375

Usually when this occurs, it's due to rust build up and when the E- brake is released, it is not fully depressing to it's original position. Depending on how your system is set up, you will have to crawl under the car and lube your cables. Sometimes the cables will rust within the plastic sleeve that goes into the back of the hub. Sometimes just giving the cable a tug by hand back towards the front of the vehicle will be enough to make the light go out.

I have done this multiple times. The light only comes on when the car moves. When I turn it off the light goes away untill I try to drive again. Wondering if it could also be a bad sensor.

42,375

Anything is possible. Is your E-brake under the dash operated by foot or between the seats by the arm console?

Between the seats in the center console. The only thing is that I have never used my e brake.

42,375

All it takes is for someone other than you to drive your car and use that E-brake just once. You may have to remove your rear drums and take a look inside. I've been through the good old Toyota E-brake levers rusting up and sticking more times than I can count. If you live where there's road salt, odds are somethings rusted up. I've never seen a sensor go bad for the brake before. Not saying that's it's not possible though.

Well thanks for the advice. Ill go through these before I start spending money on things that aren't the problem. And shouldnt be too hard because it has disk brakes on both front and back so I wont have to worry about ripping apart pesky drums. Much appreciated cheers mate.