How much to fix a Water Pump in an 02 Grand AM GT v6

35

Asked by Feb 28, 2015 at 05:52 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT1

Coolant issues... coolant spewing out of the reservoir... advised its prob the head gasket
which I purchased - now coming of the hose on the water pump, so now I need to replace
that. Any ideas on how much parts/labor should run me?

5,505

If you were going to do a head gasket, the water pump should be easy. If you take it to a shop, it will probably cost about $50-$75 for the pump and maybe $150 for labor. Don't know why you were advised that your head gasket was bad but coolant boiling over and out of the reservoir is not a typical symptom. When a head gasket goes bad it usually allows water to enter the cylinders or the oil ststem. These are typically seen as steam from the exhaust or "milky" looking oil. Coolant overflowing the reservoir indicates that you are severely overheating or, possibly, just have a cap that is no longer holding pressure. Good luck with the repairs. If you take it to get the water pump replaced, they could probably advise you about the whole situation.

35

I was advised that I should just go ahead and replace the engine I wouldn't have to worry about much else for awhile after? This car has been good to me. Not any Major issues, everything else has been fixed *not major*. Remote start, alarm, new alpine, speakers, tint, chrome, great interior and exterior (compared to what I've seen). Just want my Redd Hott in Great running condition... withOut cutting corners Or Getting Robbed!! And does anyone know anything about "YourMechanic"??? Any advise anyone?