Recently bought a 2002 Grand Am. Dealer put 4 new tires on The day after I bought. The day after that the ABS, Service engine,trac lights all came on.had hubs checked they are fine.

Patrick Kolve

Asked by Aug 30, 2015 at 11:45 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT

Lights go off after restarting the car,
and will stay off for a day or two.

Sterling Grinnell

it might be that the dealership put to large or to small of tires on the car and the calibration is off. the hubs are reading a different speed then the computer is reading from the speed sensor in the trans. call a tire company and see what size tires fit on the car and then call the dealership and tell them the problem and have them look at it. if the problem happened after they put on the tires they should check it for free and if the calibration is off they should either replace the tires with the right size or calibrate the computer. this is what might have happened but please dont hold me to it

Patrick Kolve

Thanks for the quick answer. I will admit I'm fairly naïve when it comes to this. The factory specs are 225/50R15. They put on 205/50R15...the place I took it to for the hub check said the speed sensor seems accurate...they took it for a spin the diagnostic thing plugged in. Can that (what I would think is difference in size cause this? Thanks in advance...and sorry if these are stupid questions :)

Not sure if you have the 2002 Grand AM GT Coupe or Sedan, but the good news is that the OEM tire size is the same: 225/50R-16 (if the Dealer put on any other size than this, this could account for the issues you're having). Check what's on there and let us know. Here's a link with the OEM tire info from Tire

Wait what?? 225/50R15??

I doubt that it's the tires. The height of the tires (50) is the same. The width is what's different (205). I don't believe that this would trigger the ABS light. Did you have the computers scanned? The TRAC OFF light is most likely on because of the ABS system. These two systems work together. When there's a problem with the ABS the traction control system is disabled as well. The service engine soon light is probably a different issue, unrelated. Have the PCM (engine computer) scanned. Most auto parts stores will do it for free. Post the trouble codes. If they can get the trouble codes for the ABS that'll be great. That's actually a different computer so they may not be able to get those codes. We'll need the ABS codes to try to find out what's going on with that system. Once the ABS is fixed the TRAC OFF light should go out. I do believe that the ABS problem is being caused by something they did when installing the new tires, such as a damaged wiring connection, but not from the tires themselves. One last thing, check to see that the tires are inflated to the proper specs. Usually 30 PSI cold or 35 PSI hot. HTH. - Jim

Sterling Grinnell

here is what you have in the first is the 225/50R15 and the next is the 205 20 mph 19.3 30 mph 29 40 mph 38.7 50 mph 48.3 60 mph 58 70 mph 67.7 80 mph 77.3 90 mph 87 there isnt much of a change here but might be enough to throw some thing off. I would still go back to the dealer tell them the problem that you are having and see if they can swap you out with the right size tires for the car.