RPMs "shaking"?

Asked by Jan 06, 2015 at 11:07 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT. When I drive, the RPMs shake a little, as in they
jump a little and then go back down and can't settle on one spot, and the car tends to
shake with the RPMs. It started out happening just when it was shifting gears, but now
it can happen at any speed. It goes away on its own, but I'm worried about serious
damage. I've taken it to three mechanics, but none can give me answers. Does
anyone know what could be happening?

68,675

Is the check engine or service engine soon light flashing while this is going on? If so the engine is misfiring. I'd try a tune up first. HTH. -Jim

The service engine light went on and stayed on when this started happening, but ever since it started getting worse, the light went off and hasn't come back on again. Even when the cruise is set, it does it. And whenever I'm going up a hill, it'll do it.

68,675

Visit your local auto parts store and have them scan your computer. Most stores will do it for free. Post the trouble codes and we can help you further. HTH. -Jim

4,965

Could also be your transmission "hunting" for the proper gear.

315

Is the trac-on light on it could be a misfire, possibly the coil pack, also the fuel pressure, fuel filter or fuel pump. Definitely get a code scan (OB-2) check (for free at Auto Zone & Advanced Auto, but not as reliable sumtimes).