2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT Overheating

Asked by Oct 09, 2014 at 04:57 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT

My 2002 Pontiac Grand Am Gt overheats when the thermostat is in the car but runs perfectly fine without it in. I was driving yesterday with the thermostat in and the car ran perfectly fine for a while then all of a sudden it just started getting hot but wasn't too bad but then it just shot up and overheated. We checked the coolant and it was completely drained even though we just filled it up the day before. The radiator cap is horrible as well and I know for a fact I need a new one but even so I have no problems with the car as long as the thermostat is out. The issue could very well be the thermostat but I just want to make sure before buying a new one.

check the oil level and coolant level. then have the intake manifold and head gaskets looked at.