rear speaker replacement

225

Asked by Feb 01, 2009 at 04:03 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 Coupe

Well, I didn't think it was possible, but I managed to blow the rear speakers in my car.  I have the Monsoon system, and am wondering what would be the best speakers to replace the factory ones with.  I want to maintain the dual-power set-up that is there, and hopefully I can avoid having to replace the entire system.  any thoughts from anyone?

1,385

Does the Monsoon sound system have an integrated amplifier in each speaker? If so, you are best to get a factory set of replacement speakers. If it has a stand-alone amplifier, then you should be able to use any decent aftermarket speaker. Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Infinity, Bose, Sony, etc. That choice really depends on how much you want to spend, and what type of sound you are looking for. The best way to determine that is to go to a good stereo store and listen to several different speaker brands to see which ones sound best to you. A decent set of aftermarket speakers will probably cost between $70 and $150 dependng on what you want.

225

the only thing is that the speakers I have found, none have the sub's built into the 6 X 9's. The factory speakers have 2 locations where power leads attach. I dont' want to have to go with a set of subs, AND mids in the 6 X 9's. there's not much trunk space as there is.

1,385

If you don't want to add external amplifiers and subs, then you are almost required to stay with the factory-style monsoon speakers if you want to keep a similar sound quality. Even if the speakers are expensive (I'm sure that they are, but I have no idea how much...) they are probably cheaper than all the subs, amps, mids, etc... that you would need to duplicate the sound.

25

I managed to blow my rear speaker out almost two years ago now. I went to a local car audio store and was told that in order to replace the exact speaker system you have to go factory make. To try and save me money the suggested I go ask the Pontiac dealer. Turns out to replace the rear speaker would cost over $400, plus 2 weeks to order the part and another day or so to install the speakers. I wound up just paying for an upgrading sound system from Alpine with the better sound than the old speakers for just under $600 instead. That's just what I was told though, because most of the non-factory speakers aren't compatible with the Monsoon system and would have power issues in the car.

15

i ran into the same thing, the only way to get the same quality of sound out of your 6x9's is to go factory, when i blew my rear speakers i went through 3 different sets of 6x9's going from cheap to really expensive, but none had the same quality, the reason for that is Pontiac built their rear speakers to have a 2 in 1 6x9, and there aren't any aftermarket speakers that are built the same way

55

I remplaced my rear speakers by two 6x9 alpine s-type, and they sound very good, but i suggest to put two r-type 6x9, you will be impressed by what they can do, beleive me

25

The 6x9's in my 2002 GT have been replaced several times.... you just have to look for a set that fits... use the two wires that go to the bass driver of the factory 6x9's to run the replacement 4ohm speakers. disconnect the leads to the high, (tweeter), and tape them off so as they don't short. The Monsoon power amp is tough and relatively impervious to the slight change in resistance.

40

I just replace two 6x9 I used both wires one is for the tweeters and one is for the mid bass driver of the speakers it was real simple I reused the factory clip for the speakers I desolder it from the original speakers and added them to my newspeakers