My hazard switch keeps clicking and no signals are turned on?

20

Asked by Mar 17, 2014 at 09:23 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE Coupe

I have an 02 pontiac grand am and i can turn my keyswitch to on and not even start my
vehicle and emmediatley hear this rapid clicking coming from my hazard switch and it
stops and starts whenever it pleases and it's reallly aggravating i bought a new one and
installed it on the stop infront of a autozone and it did not fix my problem the clicking still
occured even with the new hazard switch can anyone help?

9,595

My mothers '99 does the same thing. Calls it the cricket. I haven't had time to fix it but I believe I narrowed it down to the turn signal switch in the steering column after we replaced the hazard switch/relay.

5

The problem is in the turn signal switch. Very easy fix. You will need 4 things. 1 Philips screwdriver 2 Electrical parts cleaner 3 A small amount of DI-electric grease 4 a small flat blade screw drive Remove the top cover of the steering column. Remove the screws holding the switch in. Disconnect the 2 wire connectors. remove the (If I remember right might be 5) three screws that hold the TURN signal side of the switch. (DO NOT remove them all.There are springs in the other side and you don't want to have them come out.) GENTLY pry the cover open to the switch and spray the electrical cleaner onto the contacts to clean them. Put new DI-electric grease on the contacts. repeat the process in reverse (with 1 exception) there is a horn contact behind the steering wheel that needs to be pushed back with the flat blade to reassemble it. Hope this helps