I have done a front end brake replacement on my 2002 Pontiac Grand AM but need serious help!

Asked by Jan 28, 2013 at 06:27 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE Coupe

.I replaced rotors pads and calipers and when the car is off the pedal is very strong but the minute I start
the car I lose all pedal and is very difficult to stop the car I have replaced the brake check booster valve
as well bled the system multiple times the booster and master cylinder seem to be working just fine I
don't know what to do!!!!

93,715

You might have gotten air in the ABS part of the system when you had the hose off the caliper. Check in at GAOwnersClub.com to figure out your next step.

Tenspeed is fairly right on the ABS system, the problem with the ABS and bleeding the system is the ABS solenoids. You, I am sure bleed everything correctly, but without a special tool that cycles the ABS solenoids you WILL have this problem for sure and especially with the complete job you did, no doubt. This tool is basically a OBD scanner with the ABS solenoid cycling option, this tool uses a cycling process to bleed this solenoids which are like 6 of them and have to be done in sequence as bubbles get in them and the valves need to open bleed then closed in sequence. Besides the right equipment, what I'd suggest is looking at your vehicles repair manual on this particular issue, then shop around for this tool which I mentioned is just a scan tool that has the ABS feature that opens and closes the solenoids during the bleeding process, also go check YouTube and you can find some vids on this issue as along with myself along time ago, many or all less than professionally trained people get caught on this after they do another wise great job on their brakes but just didn't know about the solenoids on the ABS. Also when I bought my tool, the first one I bought was fairly cheap and didn't do the job correctly and I ended up having to buy another one of higher quality. Remember while shopping for this that you want your brakes done right so don't go real cheap and since this is part of a OBD scanner what I did was buy a extremely good scanner with the ABS and now I don't have to worry about having the right equipment for either trouble codes and diagnosing or doing a complete brakes fluid change every two years as recommended. By the way, I know on my Regal there is a way to do this job without the special scanner, but it is a major pain and not reliable and when you need brakes, you really want them available and some times in a hurry, if you know what I mean, so cheap or shortcuts is not a great idea. Good luck and here is a link with a good article about this issue, http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_bleeding.htm

Best Answer