a lot of times my car will not start without pushing on the gas to keep it running, especially on a cold start

Asked by Sep 28, 2016 at 09:43 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 Coupe

I'll try and keep this simple.  My car starts right away...or it doesn't.  If it does than I don't have an issue with restarting the car.  If it will not start right away, I have to press the gas pedal in order to get the car started after extended cranking and the car seeming like it isn't getting any fuel it will cough to life and run as long as the accerator is pushed to keep the idle up at or above 1000 RPM.  If I let off the gas, car dies and it seems to get harder to start every time-longer cranking.
I have replaced just about everything on this car (like seriously) sensor wise and tune up wise.  
The check engine light is on and I have to pull codes again but last time the only thing worth mentioning was a misfire detected on Cylinder #5
I bought the car in Feburary and have not put over 50 miles on it due to all of the issues I have had with it.
I am starting to run in circles.  Any help would be great!  Thanks

18,790

Replace air filter, clean throttle with throttle body cleaner, replace fuel filter and add fuel injector cleaner to gas tank.

Thanks for the reply! I just installed a brand new fuel filter, air filter, cleaned the throttle body and mass air flow sensor (even though the Mass Air Flow Sensor is new), added injector cleaner a few days ago. I went to the local parts store and loaned a fuel pressure tester. Turns out I should be between 52-59PSI with the car off and the ignition switch turned on. I am only getting 40PSI at best and the second the fuel pump stops (after the two or so seconds that the fuel pump engages when turning on the ignition on) the PSI drops down to about 29. It should be holding pressure. When I hooked up the gauge to my fuel rail(3.4L V6) there was no residual pressure at all. I have checked for leaks in fuel lines, connections, fittings, fuel pressure regulator is brand new and isn't leaking (no gas coming out of the top of it when I pull vacuum line off, no gas smell in vacuum line) Over the course of the following ten Minutes, I watched the fuel pressure on the gauge drop down to about 20PSI and am now trying to figure out WHY I'm losing pressure? Fuel Pump is one thing, but that shouldn't be causing me to lose fuel pressure so rapidly once the pump stops. I'm totally open to suggestions on this one. When I replaced my fuel filter about a week ago, I got a LOT of gunk out of it, thinking that the sock/strainer on the pump is pretty clogged up with sludge inside of the tank? Next step is to yank the tank, at least I just filled it with gas the other day so it will be nice and heavy, LOL!