My car won't start after it has been started recently.

40

Asked by Jan 16, 2014 at 01:01 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 Coupe

This began about two years ago. It
starts fine in the morning, or after it
has been sitting a while, but if I drove
it for a short distance, it wouldn't
start again. Sometimes it would start
and stall, other times the engine
would crank but not turn over.
Sometimes it would turn over, then
the engine would keep cranking as it
died. At first, I would wait ten
minutes, then it would start, then
wait times grew to 30 minutes, an
hour, etc. I think it's up to 3+ hours
now. You get the idea.
A few weeks ago, it turned over, then
there was a loud scraping noise, then
it was completely dead. Dead dead.
No battery. Mind you, the battery
was new. I took it to my mechanic,
and he replaced the whole ignition
mechanism, including the tumbler
and security panel, and outfitted me
with new keys which he
programmed.
I picked it up,and it started fine, but
the next time (about 2 hours later)
nada. Just cranked.
Here is a list of the items that have
been replaced: starter, 2 batteries
now, cam shaft sensor, and the
aforementioned parts.
Anyone who solves this gets a million
life points.

7,925

Find the Option Code sticker. It might be in the trunk on the spare tire cover, trunk lid, or glove box. It looks like the attached picture below. Let me know if you have option code "LA1", and I'll get back to you.

7,925

Also, which engine do you have? 4 or 6 cylinder?

40

V6. 3.4 L Can't check the code, as it is currently in the shop.

7,925

These cars had problems with the factory security systems. If it's in the shop for the "no start condition". Have them check the body control module connectors for being loose, or for corrosion. Sometimes a water leak, or condensation can be a problem. Please let me know what they find, as this helps me to help others, and if you still have a problem when you get it back.

40

Thanks. I'll let you know!

40

i have the exact same problem and was wondering if you ever found a solution? im am going through the same thing right now as your story.

40

I has the entire ignition system replaced, as it was not fully turning off, and draining the battery, so that was one contributor. My mechanic said from what he could tell, the fuel injector was losing power somehow upon ignition. He tested everything in that area until he narrowed it down to the computer. It still doesn't start smoothly, but it has started every time since. (Fingers crossed)

75

I have this problem now. New Ignition coil as of this morning. Security reset for a couple of months for 10 minutes. then it took longer and longer for it to fire up. After a while it just didnt crank anymore at all. Replaced the ignition coil this morning and on the way home it shut off again while driving in the middle of the highway. I took it to an auto parts store (AutoZone) and they put it on the computer and it gave a reading that the O2 sensor was faulty. I read up on it and now I'm not so sure that the O2 sensor has anything to do with my car shutting off. Help! I am at my wits end with this!!

50

I have same car same problem, spent a couple grand over the last few years with no luck. Did replacing the ecm computer fix the problem long term? I had the whole ignition system replaced about three years ago and the no start after running problem is getting worse. Thanks for the help.

50

I replaced the ecm/pcm unit. Fixed all the problems I was having. I used a company called flash master on eBay. 80 dollars with free shipping and they program it for you. Napa wanted 210 + core + tax + local shops wants 100 to reprogram.

50

All my dummy light cam on and the car will start in the mourning and stay running but drive it for a bit then shut it off go o start it again it will o,only stay running for a few secs and then dies out. I have a 97 grand am'2.4. And I can find the bcm/pcm. Help me

30

Yes grand ams have a big problem with bcm s body control modules going bad. If you are having problems with lights doing weird things and it shutting down' chances are it is the bcm.

150

ok my car would not start tonight after work and i tryed to jump it and would not do shit but all my head lights and roof light would come on would it still be the security thing ?

20

Did you ever solve this issue? Have the same issue.

40

Wont start lights come on is it the starter are alternater

10

I think you should check you crank sensor is going bad or you have a ignition problem

210

It is actually an easy fix.the guys that design this stuff are crack smokers........check on internet for security passcode bypass.anybody can fix it.....I did.......there's a couple wires .....find pics and diagram on where they are.......trust me its simple......never be stranded again.......you have to cut one and solder in an 2000 ohms resister to bypass security passcode anti theft.......it is the only way.........I'm just glad somebody posted it ....if and when u find it .......it is all typed out on yellow paper........so u know you found the right thing .......just to let u know...

210

The two wires are under steering coulum and if I remember correctly the one you cut is yellow....don't be scared.......

210

I got the ohms resister at a radio shack.......which are no longer in buisness......good luck......its simple.......

210

Dumbist thing Pontiac has ever done......no wonder they make them anymore.....

210

Don't make them..........is what I meant. The ohlms resister allows you to have as many cranks you want on the ignition.......that is the purpose of it without it disabling everything for antitheft.....

210

Www.bergerweb.net/grand a security fix.HTML found the website for repair........don't make it harder than it seems.........so simple a 12 yr old could do it.......have fun......and hope the info helps......

40

It's the ignition wire to your starter from key switch, trace it down like I did.

10

I am having he same problem, but I replaced my battery with an optima red top and the same thing occurred! It will crank but not turn over! Could it possibly be my alternator?

210

So you mean the car turns over.....but just won't Fire.......correct?

210

I have the solution....

210

Did you try the solution above....that I posted 4months ago.....?temp sensor is the only other thing.....they seem to get worn out easily....but usually just won't start after car has been warmed up. Good luck!!! It's no wonder they don't make these cars anymore...

I have 2001 Bonneville with a 3.8...doing the same thing...would the wiring thing also work for it?

20

I have a Pontiac grand am and had the ignition replaced and it still wont start. Battery and alternator are good. The lights come on but nothing happens when I try to start it.

30

My Grand Prix se 2002 sounds like it's about to start but won't turn over I need help now

30

I was told that it could be my feul pump

Same here Shatori. Our 2003 Bonneville will start just fine in the morning after sitting all night. But after that you have to give it gas while cranking it. It start rough then all is great but it now has started to stall when at lights or parking. Mechanic put a tester on the fuel pump for 45 minutes and said it was definitely failing. So now on to 400 bucks or more this wekk. Will post if it was the issue. Ours does not have security lights or any other lights flashing during all of this.