I change my power steering pump and pulley should i hear a wineing noises when i accelerate or turn

60

Asked by May 04, 2015 at 11:30 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE1

92,725

Sometimes it can take a day or two of driving to get all of the air out of a power steering system, especially if you flushed it out like you are suppose to do before you put on the new pump. If it is still noisey after that then there could be something misaligned inside the pump.

60

Ok i didnt completely flush my power steering. And can i drive it to get the air out or do i need to leave the cap to my resivour off and just turn the wheel back and forth?

92,725

You didn't flush it, bad. I hope there wasn't some gunk that broke loose due to,the increased pressure of the new pump and found it's way into the pressure valve, anyway you will know in a day or two just continue to drive it, if it is air it will work it's way out of the system by then.

60

So i dnt need to leave my cap off and turn my wheel back and forth

92,725

You should have already done that during the refill procedure, just make sure the fluid is full and drive as you normally would for a couple of days, you will know by then.

60

Ok ty very much